Foodvit Sorbitol Powder 100g
Sorbitol can be semi-artificially produced from glucose syrup, which can be derived from wheat, potato or cassava starch, and used as a low-calorie sweetener, humectant, bulking agent, texturizer or fat replacer in confectionery, candies, baked goods, diabetic jams, nutritional bars, shredded coconut, chewing gum, chocolate, diet soft drinks. This medication is used as a laxative to treat occasional episodes of constipation. Sorbitol can be used as a sweetener in toothpaste, mouthwash, medicinal syrups, lozenges, vitamin/mineral supplements.
- Helps protect against tooth decay: Like all polyols, sorbitol is non-cariogenic, meaning it is not metabolised by oral bacteria which break down sugars and starches to release acids that may lead to cavities or the erosion of tooth enamel. This dental health benefit of sugar alcohols is recognised by various health groups/associations across the globe.
- Reduced calorie value: Sorbitol is slowly absorbed by the body, allowing part of the ingested substance to reach the large intestine where metabolism generates fewer calories.
- Beneficial for diabetics: Sorbitol may be useful as an alternative to sugar for people with diabetes as it significantly reduces the rise in blood glucose and the insulin response associated with the ingestion of glucose.
- Sweetener: Sorbitol is referred to as a nutritive sweetener because it provides dietary energy
- Laxative: As is the case with other sugar alcohols, foods containing sorbitol can cause gastrointestinal distress. Sorbitol can be used as a laxative when taken orally or as an enema. Sorbitol works as a laxative by drawing water into the large intestine, stimulating bowel movements.